Saturday, February 26, 2011

The Business of Art

I was just at a class today put on at the Calgary School of Art put on by Samantha daSilva all about the Business of Art. So not just making my art in my studio…but selling it too.

The class was overfull, with 11 women looking to take thier art to the next level and I was very impressed by the information provided by Samantha, and the level of success already acheived by the attendees. Of course each of us has our own way of doing things – one described her highly organized approach to experimentation, and another professed to not keeping track of the shows she’s been in and her desire to be more organized.

As well, we spoke briefly about each going away and doing our ‘homework’ from Samantha and perhaps getting together in a month to touch base and share again. To that end, I’ve included all the websites for those of us who have sites, and for all the other ladies – they can comment to ask me to email the list if I’ve missed them in my email (which will happen after I’m done with this blog update).

Class of February 26, 2011

DarleneBeckFineArt.com
drogar.com/corevitality
PatriciaLangevin.com
LeilaMcDowell.com
VanessaKary.com
Karen-Oliver.blogspot.com
KennedyInk.ca

As for the ladies not on this list, I have their email addresses and will forward everyone in the class this list, along with the email addresses of the ladies sans websites (but not for long, right? we’re all going to set up websites, right?)

So, as for everything I learned? Well, let’s just say I have a heck of a lot of work to do, so I’ll sign off and get on it.

LLAP
Michelle

2 comments:

  1. Classes like this are sooo important. I'm taking a required class at ACAD called PPRL200 which is Professional Practice Something Something :-) We have three assignments - artist portfolio, making a grant application and then there is a group assignment. Classes like these are so invaluable and I'm glad you took one! I hope your homework is more fun than stressful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Purple Pony Art! I hope it is too. Good luck with your ACAD course. The idea of a Grant Application scares me. :0

    ReplyDelete