Thursday, December 17, 2009

cheese, anyone?

 
So, I really should have brough my own camera so I wouldn't have to steal from the FARM website, but they've done a fabulously artsty job of photographing their restaurant, so why should I bother?!
Anyway, I was just there for lunch (and I mean, I was just there and just put my leftovers in the fridge) and it was fab-u-lous!  Kristin and Aurora and myself try to meet up once a month for a lunch, and being able to head outside of downtown is a boon.  Aurora was absent today (being in Italy I don't feel so sorry for her) and as such Kristin and I were on lead to a tiny table for two and given directions by a very helpful waiter.

To start, we looked over the menu and I picked the mac'n'cheese (I ordered the large and should have ordered the small, hence the leftovers in my fridge).  Kristin ordered the goat cheese fritter.  Both were really great - my mac'n'cheese had a cayenne kick to it, and her salad had lovely sections of grapefruit.  We also both had tea, which was loose leaves and put into a French Press to steep (much like at Steeps in Mount Royal Village). 

We mulled over the list of cheese/meat selections and chose the 5 item spree.  Our waiter helped us to determine which particular ones to have.  I would love to say I remember them all, but I don't.  Each came with a specifically paired condiment.  The Lamb Liver Pate had a Saskatoon Berry compote of sorts; the coppa (much like prosciutto) had a grainy mustard; the german cheese had an onion spread; the Quebec cheese had a tomato-ey spread (I can't call these salsas but maybe they were); and the soft cheese starting with the letter M had a grapefruit puree to go with it.  It was so good and we were both so happy we decided to extend our lunch with this lovely platter.  And they weren't chintzy on the bread either - when he saw we had pretty much consumed our allotment, he brought a whole plate more! 

Wouldn't it have been great had I remembered the names of the cheeses though?  Alas, we just munched and muched away with nary a thought to writing things down.  I guess I'll have to go back again, you know, for further research.  And perhaps I'll remember to bring my camera too!

1 comment:

  1. omg You guys went to FARM without me?!waaaah
    I have wanted to try this place... will definitely do so now! :)

    ReplyDelete