Sunday, November 29, 2009

Taco Flavoured Kisses


mmmm    Mexican food.  Our favourite place to pretend we're in Mexico (without the heat, of course) is Salt & Pepper.  We were introduced to this restaurant by a friend of ours who lived near Bowness at the time, and after our first meal there we've been back time and time again.  The waitress at the McLoed Trail location knows what we want as soon as we walk in the door.  We don't even get menus anymore!  On most visits I will have the pork chops and Scott will have the chorizo burrito.  To start we will usually get the homemade chips & salsa.  He has the special coffee (it has cinnamon in it) and I will either get water, or iced tea and then water - it's spicey stuff, this Mexican food!

The platter, which is meant to be shared, is huge and filled with just a ton of great food.  Most of it I can't pronounce but I can point and say "that's mine!" quick enough.  And I can't say I was ever a fan of guacomole, until I tried it at Salt & Pepper, Bowness.  Our friend, mentioned above, didn't get the platter with us, but was stealing all the guac off our plates and I complained, in jest because I actually wasn't eating any.  The waiter overheard my complaint and brought us a huge bowl of guac.  How could I not have any now?  I tried it and instantly knew why everyone else was gobbling it down!  Fresh is best, and that's just how they serve it.

Another funny event was when we noticed the salsa at the McLeod was really really really spicey hot.  When we mentioned this to our favourite waitress she said theyhad noticed the jalapenos were hotter than usual, and so they had to cut the called for amount in half when making it - but it was still really hot.  As soon as she left the table I said to Scott "Who was that poor S.O.B. who discovered they were twice as hot!?"  And we laughed, assuming the person could either tolerate a lot of heat, or had instantaneously combusted as a result of the jalepenos! 

I've had business meetings there, my birthday there, quick lunches, and long dinners.  I've even take my sister & nephew there where he said his first unprompted word (as far as I know.)  He wanted our drinks (margaritas) and our favourte waitress made him a strawberry smoothie but put it in a margarita glass and he was so impressed his eyes got really big when he saw it and he said "WOW!"  She was his favourite person for the rest of our meal.  He even tried to get her to dance to the music while she was trying to take other people's orders.


I could go on and on an on about this place.  It's just great.  I'm glad they have a location in Cochrane as well, but did sorely miss the location on 16th Avenue NW closing down - it was so easy to stop there on the way home when we lived in Chestermere. Everything is fresh but still fast, and at a fair market value.  I never like it when the prices increase, but everything else in Calgary started costing more during the boom a couple years ago, and so it was only a matter of time before they increased their prices.  They did just that and although it's more for a meal now, it's still really worth it.  We were just getting a screamin' deal before.  And in case you missed the reference in the title of this post, if you don't watch South Park then it's just too tough to explain just how funny the Taco Flavoured Kisses episode was.  Hilarious!

1 comment:

  1. And Tuesdays are all you can eat taco days. They are so delicious!

    Biko

    ReplyDelete