Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Tree

The best time to plant a tree is twenty years ago. The second best time is now.


I just posted this little guy (he's 2" by 2" by 1/2") on my Etsy site. I'm a little anxious posting the new art I've been doing, since I'm not a 'trained' artist. I feel a little fake on the credentials side (since I have none!). But I love the acrylics I have - I've not used oils or watercolours and I'm not sure if I ever will. Acrylics are so much fun! And there is the added bonus of being able to have alcohol inks react with the wet paint, and the dyes that soak into the paint, and then the choice of sealant.

One sealant actually reacts with the dye I've put on some paintings - a neat effect in itself. I wonder if it's a toxic reaction... hmmm... Hope not. The sealant is non-toxic and the paint says it is... so I wonder what's reacting.

Anyway, this little tree was fun to do. I started with hot pink, believe it or not. I added dibs and dabs of paint and then a good spray of butterscotch dye, and try as I may, I could not prevent the dye from coming up through subsequent layers of paint. Finally, I mixed up some matte gel medium with a little water and slathered that on. Presto! The bleeding stopped. I added the slight blue to the sky and considered the piece fiddled with enough.

I took it to show someone, and it ended up in my purse for the better part of two months. Found it again, and decided to post it for sale on Etsy. I'm just guessing it will get better exposure there than in my purse! haha

No comments:

Post a Comment